24.12.10

Christmas Eve

I wonder how it feels like to spend Christmas (eve, that is) in another country. I was close to having that chance when I went to Brisbane last year but it was in november (still close to december). Let me share our tradition here in the Philippines during the holidays.

100 days
Countdown begins at the 100th day. Yep! not 10 not 5 but 100. As soon as the calendar turns to "BER" so thus our Christmas. People in the neighborhood bring out christmas trees, put on dancing christmas lights and play christmas songs. Prices of toys, gift items, dresses etc are discounted up to 70% except for the food which actually doesn't get cheaper but the other way around. Malls, my gawd is jam packed with mall rats, people from all walks of like trying to figure out to how to spend their bonuses, 13th month pay and whatnot. I am guilty of course but I'm saving up a little because I'm visiting my family on the 27th because I'll be spending new year with them after 6 years. Children serenade every home with exchange of coins or bills but I give candies or food.

Novena
Simbang gabi, that's what we call it. Like any other catholic countries Novena is a 9-day mass/prayer tradition. Anticipated mass is during the night and novena mass it at 4AM. They say that when you completed 9 days of Novena mass your wish will be granted. Well good luck to that, I usually stayed late at night so I only had 3 mornings.

Christmas eve and Noche Buena
Family first! But my housemates are my family tonight. I am 1 hour 45 minutes plane ride from my FAMILY but tonight at Noche Buena we're having chicken, mango shake, HAM and pasta. Mass will be at 9PM or earlier (haven't checked the schedule yet).

I know we're 12 hours ahead of time but heck, it'sChristmas no matter where and who you are let's all celebrate it with a happy heart even just for one night. Just so you know the music is playing sooo loud across the street and fireworks are everywhere.

Happy birthday Jesus!!!! And happy Christmas everyone.

By the way I'm blog hopping too, have a fun filled blog hop. Oh and by the way I have a poll on the side, can you answer those three questions for me please please please. :D Thank you.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog; I'm now following back. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lady Estrogen : I had fun reading your blog. Thanks for following me back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy holidays!
    I hope you have fun one with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being my 701st follower! Love your blog- thanks for the great Christmas post! It's always fun to learn about traditions in other countries. Following your blog now and looking forward to reading much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great traditions!

    Thanks so much for stopping by, have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Xenia and Carie, happy xmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that google follow-a-friend has a problem but those blogs I visited I already followed you via blogspot.

    Let me know if you didn't see my name.

    I'll blog hop again this morning. Happy Christmas everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. following from blog hops. come join Mari's Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gwen - thanks for visiting Family Literacy and You today. My Caroling linky disappeared so you couldn't add your blog and people could come visit yours. I've readded it -

    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com

    Thanks! Merry Christmas!
    Tina "The Book Lady"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for coming by my blog and following! :) Ooh, we used to have Noche Buena every Christmas Eve. I guess we've been too busy this year. We don't even have a Christmas tree up! Anyway, I'm following back! I wish you a wonderful, merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by via the hop. I'm now a follower, but more than that, I can tell I'm going to love this blog! Blessings ;-). If you're interested, you can find my latest post here: http://mchristineweber.com/bookish-things-that-should-be-wrapped-in-ribbon-and-pretty-strings-plus-a-recipe/

    Merry Christmas!

    mary @ www.mchristineweber.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! Thanks for stopping by and following, I'm now following back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I'm from Philippines too. Thanks for following. Nice blog! I'm following back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for following my blog... I am following back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI,

    I am your new follower and would love for you to stop-by and follow-back!

    Have a fabulous 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tina and Esther I'm following you back.

    @ Christine, you're on my google reading list.

    Happy new year everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, I'm following back! :)

    Marisa
    http://thepennywisemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete